Thiruporur situated 40 Km on the old Mahabalipuram road from Chennai.
Other names : Samarapuri , Yudhapuri , Poriyur.
Presiding deity : Kandaswamy
History : The inscriptions in the shrine of Devayani affirm the fact that the land for the temple was donated by Vikrama Chola (1118 - 1133 AD).
Lord Vishnu and his consort Lakshmi were subjected to the curse of Kanva rishi. Lord Shiva came to this place to liberate and relieve them from the effect of the curse.
Lord Vishnu worshiped Shiva as "Vanmeekeswara" on the Pranava Hill. He did this to get rid of the sin of having killed Soorapadman.
In total three battles were waged by Lord muruga in three different place namely Tiruchendur, Tiruparankundram and Thiruporur. Lord Muruga fought with Thaaraga in this place and slayed him. Hence the name Porur. 'Por' in Tamil means war.
About the Temple:
The sanctum sanctorum of the presiding deity faces east. The Murthy in the anthill is covered with Kavacham. This deity is known as. He is garlanded with leaves of the Vilva tree.
With in the sanctum sanctorum, there is another smaller deity with consorts, known as 'chinnavar,' who alone is worshipped with abisheka, aradhana.
Vallayaar Odai or Shanmuga Theertham
Sthala Vruksham: Vanni.
*Vallayaar Odai or Shanmuga Theertham was formed When Lord Muruga's spear pierced the earth, water came gushing out.
*Sri Chidambara Swamigal has established two chakras in the temple. The first one, known as the Srichakra, is installed on the left side of the presiding deity. The second chakra is known as Theertha-chakra and is installed in the sanctum sanctorum.
* The Presiding deity is said to Swayambhu Murti.
*Abisheka is not performed on 'periyavar'.
*Sri Chidambara Sivagnana Swamigal an ardent worshipper of "Madurai Meenakshi Amman" had a vision of the Goddess bidding him to build a temple for Lord Muruga at Thirupporur. Swamigal went to Thiruporur and searched for an idol of Muruga, but his efforts were in vain. Later on when an old man pointed his finger in one particular spot, Swamigal was overwhelmed to see an idol of Lord Muruga. He started building the temple for the seventh time, since the first six constructions got dilapidated when he was hunting for an idol.